Saturday, January 29, 2011

Lost In A Dream....


Or... On Walking As Meditation

My last full day in PDC... I'm at the beach of course. This place, it's "La Sirena", she has worked her bit of magic on me. It's sensual and seductive. I've not yet "slipped into the blue" but I have entered an altered state here.
I walk. It's perfect, so that's what I do.. I walk. I walk beyond the crowds. I walk to the "edge of civilization". As the crowds thin to a few and the miles tick by I enter into a rarified state where sand and shore... where sky and surf meet.
Winter, that other time and place, I might not allow my mind this endless freedom.. my fear of those dark thoughts that can enter uninvited. But here, here there are no such concerns. I'm in that space between sea and sky. my thoughts no more significant than those puffy white clouds before me.
My legs.. effortlessly they propel me on and on. I just want to keep going, it is pure joy. I know, however, that however far I go, I must go again. A sobering thought at this "intoxicated" moment. I go all the way to the little "cenote", a spot where black holes in the earth allow fresh water to bubble forth. hundreds of gallons, just seconds away from the surf. It's hot! I'm hot! The walk exacting it's toll. I go to the dark wound, gushing forth... it's cold, deliciously cold as I lie and let it wash over me. This feeling... it is new to me. A hot spring in reverse.
Refreshed, I turn back, that sobering knowledge of how far I've come. I pass the fisherfolk, now fimilar to me and I them, their lean-to beneath the palms, their nets stretching out into the surf. One son walking the nets. One now two enormous pescado are pulled from his nets. He grins at me as I look his way. I, thumbs up, he bigger grin still. His family will eat well today.
The peoples thicken. Spanish, English, Italian and French... a subtle calcophany surrounds me. Everone happy, all drawn by the same "Sirena", all sucombing to her charms. Hey. I'm here. I'm back, Mamitas. My chair, my parasol awaits. Staff, now "old friends", they know my habits well. Ceverza meister Keveen? Si senor. Dos cervesas.

No comments:

Post a Comment